You can create unlimited custom App Categories to post a Card or Event to. This App Categories list is the same across both types of content.
Using custom categories is a great way to target relevant information to specific groups of parents. We'll use cards as an example in this tutorial but the same method can be applied to Events.
When your app was first set up you were given basic categories to post to.
- Important Updates (Named Alerts prior to January 2018)
- Mouse-over 'Cards' on the left side menu, and select App Categories.
- In the Name field, type the name of your new Category.
- If you want to house this category inside another you can select a parent category using the Parent dropdown. If this is a top level category, skip this section.
- Click Add New Category button.
- That's it! It's that easy.
Please note: After creating the categories you will want to populate the app with a card, as only categories with content published to them will appear in the app.
A good place to start is to post a card to each category you want to be displayed. It can be a short brief description of each category, this, in turn, will help you understand how School Stream works. Practice makes perfect.
Posting a few of your most recent newsletters or updates for the coming week/s and adding events, these can be anything from P&C meetings to sports matches and anything in between.
By adding a few pages of content to each of these areas you will soon be a pro at using School Stream.
You can also setup Categories whilst posting content
If you have forgotten to add a category before you start creating content you can create a new one before you publish.
- Before you publish content, find the App Category widget on the right-hand side
- Click the Add New Category link
- Type the name of the new category you wish to create into the field & choose the parent category if you wish.
- Click the Add New Category button to confirm.
Your new category will be automatically selected for the current post and will be saved to the list for future use
If you name a category any of these, you will see a special icon, some of the groups even have customised displays. (Beware of your spelling)
- Contact(or Contact Us)
- About (or About Us)
- Sport or (Sports)
- Bus (or Buses or School Buses)
- Lost and Found (or Lost & Found)
- Kinder (or Kindergarten)
- Grade 1
- Grade 2
- Grade 3
- Grade 4
- Grade 5
- Grade 6
- Year 7
- Year 8
- Year 9
- Year 10
- Year 11
- Year 12
- Year 13